8.13.2010

Committing To Vote, But Not For You!

I can't decide if I'm glad I'm still on Organizing for America's email list (OFA being the post-campaign continuation of Obama's campaign organization, now absorbed into and run by the DNC) because it gives me immediate access to all the condescension and emotionally-abusive patterns this administration so loves, or if I'd really rather this shit didn't show up in my inbox to annoy me anymore.  


But I think, since it's giving me more to blog about, I'll be grateful for now.  The latest missive is a get-out-the-base "Go vote in November!" type.  Here you go:


[personal anecdote here]
That's why one key part of our Vote 2010 plan this year is to get folks like you from across the country to commit to vote, to make sure we get as many people as we can to cast their ballots this fall.

But getting the commitments we need starts with your own promise to make it to the polls and cast your ballot.

Will you please commit to vote in the 2010 elections?

Over the next 82 days, volunteers across the country will spend countless hours calling voters and knocking on their doors, asking them the same question.

And you can bet that I am counting on you to join them in talking to voters in your community.

This election offers a stark choice. We Democrats are hard at work trying to move America forward, repairing a decade of damage and growing an economy based on the Main Street values of hard work and responsibility.

We've fought for and won historic reforms to our health care system, a victory 100 years in the making, and to Wall Street, the most sweeping overhaul of the financial system since the Great Depression.

But after years of policies that landed us in the worst recession since the 1930's, the Republicans who got us there have not come up with anything different from the policies of George W. Bush.

We simply cannot afford to go backwards or let them repeal our reforms. And making sure we can continue moving forward starts with your own promise to cast your ballot in these elections.

Please commit to vote this fall:

http://my.barackobama.com/Commitment


*Yawn*  More of the same.  "Look at our historic [and toothless] reforms!  Ooga booga REPUBLICANS IN POWER AGAIN!"  


Okay, so you managed to make some adjustments to our health insurance system.  But we never got the public option we were promised, and honestly?  I'm still waiting for this to be of any use to me.  Still uninsured, still waiting, still without my depression meds.  Thanks a bunch, Obama administration.  Yay historic reforms.  Plus I'm super-pleased at how you threw me under the bus to get the DINOs in line on abortion.  Love it.  Can we please stop calling this health CARE reform, and start calling it what it is, health INSURANCE reform?  


And with Press Secretary Gibbs' little rant the other day, about us drug-addled ingrates who are really pissing off the administration by not licking their ass in worship for the few crumbs they've seen fit to toss us, the Obama administration can go fuck itself.  Hard.


But I do hereby promise to go vote this November.  After all, I've got Carly Failorina trying to unseat Barbara Boxer, and I'm not going to stand idle and let that happen uncontested, and Meg Whitman the corporate shill up for governator.  So rest assured, OFA, I will go vote.  

I will not, however, pledge some kind of unthinking allegiance to the DNC's chosens.  I will not commit to vote Democrat.  I will commit to vote for those who support me, who do not start from the middle, compromise to the right, and call it historic reform, who do not sign proclamations further emphasizing the BadWrongImmoral nature of a medical procedure I have myself needed in the past, despite purporting to support the right and ability to access said procedure, who do not stubbornly insist on bipartisanly declaring their anti-marriage equality bigotry in the face of real progress.  I will vote for actual progressives, no matter what the letter is before their name.  And I flatly refuse to donate to or work with the DNC and their chosen corporate-friendly DINOs.  


I'm committed to voting.  But not the way the DNC wants.  They want my vote back, it's time for them to damn well earn it.

8 comments:

CaitieCat said...

Now, if only you had an alternative to Kang, Kodos, and Gozer the Gozerian...

Ex Patriot said...

I agree with you on your assesment of the Obama administration, it has become a disaster, not as bad as bush but close. I vote absentee so I have already voted in this years elections. For 2012 I don't know what I will do. I know that it would be a cold day in some fundie nuts hell before I would vote for a repugthug. I actually would like to see some other decent Democrat take the nomination, but I know that will not happen.

CaitieCat said...

Hm...looks like my first comment got sp*m-listed, maybe?

Jadelyn said...

Sure enough, that's where it was. Thank you for the inadvertent lesson in how to check the spambox! ;-) I dug it out though.

Jadelyn said...

This is California, we've got to have SOME Greens around. *off to do research*

Jadelyn said...

Yeah, I know I'm not going to vote R(idiculous). But I also know that at this point, pretty much the only way Obama could get me to vote for him in 2012 would be to deliver me every single reform I've ever asked for - DADT repeal, DOMA repeal, UAFA passed, the Equal Rights Amendment, real Canada-style socialized medicine (complete with death panels, of course!), solid support of state-level abortion rights, a full rework of the filibuster rules so it's no longer a *necessity* to have 60 votes in order to get anything done - to my doorstep on a silver platter. And he has to ride up to my door on a silver unicorn that has a diamond horn. THEN, I'd be willing to vote for him.

Has an incumbent President ever *not* gotten his party's nomination? Just curious...

CaitieCat said...

Yeah - make sure you get the death panel option that allows use of professionals. I got called to serve on one of our death panels, and it's a real downer. You know: Timmy's grandmother's heart-lung op, or nice Mrs. Adelman with the cookies and her brain tumour?

Lots of people get out of their obligation on this, though, it's kinda like jury duty. I've heard they're going to make it simpler soon and just introduce a mandatory death age, and make up some method of making it obvious and enforcable.

Caution to reader: may contain approximately the same level of truthiness as the average Karl Rove speech, he with a corkscrew for a tongue.

Jadelyn said...

Lolriffic! I love the idea of a death panel summons like a jury summons. ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails